This weeks lesson is on the Mural Movement and Modernism in Latin America and how it was expressed thru art.
This lesson was quite interesting to due to a couple of enlightening historical reasons.
Ist was the information on the Mexican Revolution and the evolution of the countries political progress. I was unaware of the PRIs long term reign as the counties main political power, and the PAN finally winning. I remember my father mentioning some details about Fox, the current president, but never realized how significant it was. Also the part of Gen. Diaz eventualy being forced of out his dictator thrown and the country attempting to stabilize itself. When I really thing about it, its pretty much similar it to US in it move for independance and how greatly significant and solid our Constition is, that it was created and still to this day it is the foundation of our country.
2nd is the information on the Mural Movement originating in Latin America and the artisically varying styles of "Los Tres Grandes," Rivera, Orozco, and Sigueiros.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I was also struck by the work of Rivera, Orozco and Sigueiros during this week's reading. Prior to this course I was familiar (somewhat) with Rivera, but not Orozco or Siguerios, and it was fascinating to read about their artistic contribution to Mexican art.
ReplyDeleteI wish we were better educated around the history of Mexico in our schools. We tend to just bypass the past of our great neighbor to the south. The turmoil of Mexico and the numerous changes over time provide for an amazing history part of which we see reflected in its amazing art. Like you said, the mural movement is definitely varied and unique. Are you drawn in particular to any of the artists you mentioned?
ReplyDeleteI am also amazed at how little I know about the history of Mexico. I don't think the Mexican Revolution was mentioned once in my entire high school education... and the student body was nearly half from Mexican decent. I like your parallel between the Mexican struggle for independence and the American constitution. Isn't it amazing how sturdy ink on paper can be? The constitution really is the foundation of our country.
ReplyDeleteAs we look at murals now, i always wonder what spectators outside the community feel and see...
ReplyDeletedoes it speak to outsiders the way it does to insiders? does it teach us about the insiders? does it exclude it from the insiders of the community?
I think that the murals speak to outsiders in the sense that they advertise the values of the community and signal an inner strength.
ReplyDeletePerhaps the murals do exclude people from the community, however that role must be put on the shoulders of the people actually living in the community and interacting with the "outsider"