Monday, May 4, 2009

Private Worlds and Public Myths - Blog #7

This weeks lesson is on the Surreal movement which before now, I never really understood and was quite confused about. The use of symbolism and portraying feelings via art has always been something that I have had a had time grasping, but whats funny is that my girlfriend is somewhat of a Frida expressionist and has a hard time expressing her self with words and would rather communicate through the written word or drawn images.

Ive always admired Fridas work, for its true depiction of her inner feelings, the resiliance that she possesed and her Bravaness as a latin woman. Despite her medical condition, she never gave in and said "I cant take it no more" and never gave up her passion for life and her art.

Also its quite interesting on how once again, Mexico was a main player in a form of art expression, as in the Mirual Movement, this time the Surreal movement was fueled by Mexicos unrestricted use of its imagination not being reserved by European opinions of what was considered proper art.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joel, how great that your girlfriend is an artist and can communicate through words or images. Sometimes I feel as if the words I speak can only partly express my true feelings; I often have wished for the ability to draw out my inner visions to be able to express them somewhat better. I am glad you are supportive of your girlfriend's expressiveness, and that this week was interesting for you! I also have always admired Frida for her unquenchable spirit and tenacity. In fact it was through adversity that she first developed her artistic side, and that continued throughout her life. Amazing woman, and truly an awesome artist.

    ReplyDelete